The Finance Department is responsible for the overall financial management of the City. In practical terms, this means that the Department serves two client constituencies. On one hand, the Department supports the internal, administrative functions of the City’s operating departments; on the other hand, the Department meets the direct service needs of the Needles citizen and the Needles business community.
The Finance Department provides internal support services to all other City departments in the form of financial planning, accounting and financial reporting, budgeting, payroll, accounts payable, cashiering, information technology, and risk management.
External client services are provided directly to Needles residents and business owners through administration of utility billing services for approximately 5,000 residential and commercial accounts.
The Needles City Council adopted a comprehensive list of financial policies.. The policies, address a wide range of fiscal management issues, including budgetary control, reserve ratios, infrastructure and employee compensation.
Internal Operational Efficiencies (6 Measurements)
- Complete bank reconciliations by the 15th of each month;
- Process and mail utility bills according to the Meter Reading Cycle;
- Complete warrant report for City Council agenda each Thursday;
- Mail approved warrants each Wednesday after Tuesday Council Meeting.
- Distribute W2s and 1099s by January 15th;
- File tax reports by the 15th day following close of reporting quarter.
Statement of Investment Policy
About Treasury Management
The purpose of the Treasury Management function is to ensure the safety of City funds. To accomplish this the following principles offer guidance:
- Ensure sufficient liquidity of City reserve funds and project funds
- Ensure maximum earning of idle funds within the confines of the Needles' Investment Policy
- Employ the most efficient methods of daily cash handling
- Ensure Treasury Management accountability and employee credibility
About Risk Management
The Finance Department’s risk management function seeks to protect City resources by minimizing risks and stabilizing insurance costs in an economical manner that preserves assets and protects against random accidents/loss. To accomplish this, a variety of program services are established including: identification and measurement of potential losses; loss prevention; programs for elimination of unsafe working conditions; safety training; insurance coverage procurement; and claims handling for liability and property damage. Specific activities include:
- Procure and maintain adequate resources for property and liability coverage
- Administer general liability insurance claims
- Provide risk assessment to departments
- Monitor insurance requirements involving entities engaged in business with the City to ensure that proper limits of liability coverage are maintained
- Participate in the City’s Safety Committee to pro actively manage on site risk.
- Needles is a member of the California Joint Powers Insurance Authority (CJPIA).
All events being held in City-owned facilities by groups or individuals who are not part of the City organization must purchase general liability insurance for the event. The event holder can either purchase insurance through an outside insurance agency, or through the City's Insurance carrier. E-mail the Recreation Center for Information.
GENERAL LIABILITY CLAIMS FOR DAMAGES
To file a Claim for Damages with the City, please contact the City Clerk's Office at
(760) 326-2113 x 145. or E-mail at email@example.com.
TRANSIENT OCCUPANCY TAX
The City of Needles, City Code Sec. 20-8, requires every person engaged in the operation of a hotel, motel apartment hotel, or motel or trailer court within the city, to pay an occupancy tax of 10% of the gross monthly income be reported and paid to the city within 30 days after each calendar month. Penalty shall be added at 30, 60 & 90 days delinquency of paid tax therefore it is important that your report and payment are received in a timely manner. See the Forms Page for the reporting form for Transient Occupancy Tax.
COSA (Cost of Services Analysis by EES Consulting)